AVALON BEHAVIORAL HEALTH SOLUTIONS
We are Here to Assist You
Avalon Behavioral Health Solutions was launched to assist patients, families, self-insured employers.Avalon is focused on better health for the individual with the design of better Healthcare delivery systems.
Avalon Behavioral Health Solutions (ABHS) was launched to assist patients, families, self-insured employers and providers with two significant challenges. The first challenge is the overutilization and lack of coordination in prescribing medications.In today’s healthcare delivery system patients are often prescribed a medication to suppress a symptom that can be addressed with a more effective personalized medication, alternative non-pharma or OTC interventions, or behavioral and lifestyle transitions.Additionally, as individuals receive care from multiple providers this often leads to poly-pharmacy situations with the inherent ineffective, contraindicated and toxicity risks. Obviously, these practices also lead to inflated costs.
The second being the isolated and siloed manner in which healthcare is delivered in both the commercial/private pay models, and in government funded delivery systems.Additionally, ABHS supports stakeholders in the transition from a clinically focused healthcare model to one that recognizes the tremendous value of nonclinical Social Determinants of Health interventions.
Avalon is focused on better health for the individual and populations with the design of better Healthcare delivery systems.
Genetics and Analytics
Healthcare Systems Reform
Social Determinants of Health
What is Pharmacogenomics (PGx)?
PGx identifies how a person’s individual DNA affects their response to medication
Clinical goals of PGx
- Avoid adverse drug reactions
- Maximize drug efficacy
- Select responsive patients
- Define individualized drug dose
- Right drug, right dose, right patient
The value of Precision Medicine/PGX
Today’s healthcare practices very often lead to the over prescribing of medications, and the lack of coordination across multiple providers. Avalon provides a comprehensive platform to address this issue. By combining sophisticated risk stratified analytics, with the highest quality laboratory services, and Doctors of Pharmacy available to consult with patients and providers, we ensure that individuals are prescribed the clinically minimum level of the appropriate medications.
Two very measurable outcomes are generated with the introduction of PGx into our treatment practices. The first, at the individual level an improvement in health is realized. The second, across populations a reduction in medication and related health care costs is experienced.
Sectors that would benefit from PGx
- Self-Insured Employers: Often employers, Third Party Administrators (TPAs) and Pharmacy Benefit Managers (PBMs) do not consider looking into medication utilization at the individual level of the employees and their dependents. By offering PGx as a benefit within the plan design you will achieve the outcomes listed above. Additionally, many Human Resource metrics will be positively affected such as; shortened return to work windows, turnover, recruitment, retention, workers compensation and morale.
- Long Term Care in both the institutional and home-based models: It is a fact that many of our Seniors are involved in very complex poly-pharmacy situations. This creates the risk of non-metabolizing, contraindication, and toxicity. The effect of Adverse Drug Reactions (ADRs) are well documented in our Senior population. PGx will help to mitigate this inherent risk driving better health, improving longevity, and saving costs for systems.
- Children’s Behavioral Health: Infants, toddlers and older children that present with behavioral health challenges too often experience medications as the appropriate intervention to target behaviors. Based on the design and function of the Primary Care Pediatrician model, in the moment medication is often seen as the best solution. When the child’s journey ultimately reaches an accurate diagnosis and evidenced based treatment interventions, the child is often on multiple medications that negatively effect the health of the child and the value of the therapy.
- Pain Management: When an individual is recovering from an illness, injury, or surgery they are often prescribed an ineffective pain medication or are over prescribed medication. PGx will target the effective medication and suggested dosing size. This will ensure pain mitigation, accelerate the time to functionality, and lower the risk of addiction. For surgical events, PGx as a pre-operative step would be a clinically wise step.
Avalon has relationships with both national and regional PGx laboratories. We have negotiated pricing models that will not only create improved health but generate measurable returns on investment.
Healthcare System Reform and Social Determinants of Health
The current healthcare delivery system in America is not creating the optimal health outcomes. Over decades the methodology has evolved to clinically driven interventions with a focus on a volume of care. Often the overutilization of institutional treatment is the norm when a lessor location of care would drive better outcome .The challenge before us is to bring those non-clinical Social Determinants of Health (SDoH) interventions to individuals to prevent unnecessary utilization of the Emergency Department and in-patient hospitalization.
Avalon possess both strategic and operational experience in SDoH systems. Key Stakeholders in an effective model include:
- Community Based Organizations
- Faith Based Organizations
- Housing Providers
- Nutrition/Food Providers
- Transportation Providers
- Local governments
- State Governments
Many of these groups agree on the ultimate outcome of care best being delivered at the lowest and closest level to the individual. However, they need to tackle challenges of capacity, finance systems, budgeting, billing, documentation, and sustainability.
Avalon is available to work with you to maximize the value of redesigned Systems of Care and maximize quality and value at the organizational level.